There is a program called Body for Life. I read the book several years ago, bought a weight bench, the protein shakes, and everything. I was pumped up to do it, but quit after only a couple of days. So after failing my summer plans it was time to come up with a new plan that I would be committed to. And really Body for Life makes sense, plus it is something that Justin and I can do together and still achieve our individual goals.
Here is how the plan works.
1. Eat 6 small meals a day consisting of a protein and a carbohydrate. Adding veggies to 2 of the meals.
2. Work out 6 days a week. Lifting weights 3 days and cardio 3 days a week, alternating weights and cardio. Now this is not just passive lifting and taking a late night stroll with your family. This is hard core working out. The idea is to shock your muscles so that your body is burning fat to repair and build them back up. And the cardio is for over all heart health, calorie burning, and to give your muscles a break after working them so hard. It really does make good sense.
3. Free Day! Sunday's are our free days. We don't work out (we probably just nap instead). We eat what we want, no guilt. This is designed to help us not feel deprived of the things that we love.
Here is what we have done to prepare.
1. Re-read the book.
2. Joined a gym with daycare so that Justin and I can work out together.
3. Mentally prepared. We have been planning this for the past 3 weeks. We knew our start date and did all we could be work ourselves up.
4. Purchased protein shakes, water bottles, work out clothes, etc.
5. We have scheduled our workouts around Justin's class schedule. And are committed to working out NO MATTER WHAT.
6. Scheduled physicals for us both. We are going to get a full work up. Blood and everything.
7. We have taken before pictures that we will print and hang up as a reminder of how lame our bodies are currently.
Justin's reasons for the program.
1. He wants big muscles!
2. Knee health. He has suffered with popping knees for the past couple of years. He finally went to see a doctor about it and is going to a physical therapist to get some additional things he can do to help build up his knees.
3. He loves his wife and want me to be happy and healthy. He knows that this is important to me and is willing to sacrifice his time to help me accomplish my goals.
Nancy's reasons.
1. I am tired of being so tired. I sometimes get so tired with only one child and don't know how I would survive with multiple. That scares me so I need to boost up my energy and health so that we can have the family we dreamed of.
2. I need to look better. My closet is pathetic and have deliberately put off getting new clothes because I hate shopping, it is depressing. Once I am happy with my physical appearance I am tossing out the old and welcoming the new.
3. I want the sun to shine between my legs, aka, not have huge inner-thighs. Gross!
4. I want defined arms.
5. I want to say I finished something!
In a nut shell, Justin and I just want to feel and look better. We want to be healthy!!
What this means for our family and friends.
1. We are going to be busy. Working out 6 days a week, and preparing 6 meals a day is time consuming. Please know that if we can't do something because we are busy, we mean it. And this is really important to us so please be patient with us and we try our best to figure out a good balance.
2. You are all going to want to do Body for Life after you see us. We are going to be smoking hot!
3. We need your support. If we are at a social gathering please don't ask us if we want your cookies, because deep down we might, but we really would rather be healthy! Unless it's on Sunday and then you better watch out because we will eat you out of house and home.
We welcome prayers, ideas, and your understanding.
GO Nancy & Justin! Sending lots of love, prayers and MAJOR amounts of encouragement. Enjoy the extra great quality time together! :)
ReplyDeleteIt will be hard but it will also be worth it! And, it definitely helps to have the support of your loved ones. I wish you both much success and can't wait to see those smokin' hot bods the next time you visit! : )
ReplyDeleteGood for you guys! I think it's awesome that you're being so brave and making your health and fitness goals public - kind of making yourselves accountable, which is a big key to success. I know you can do it! It will be SO worth all the hard work and sacrifice. And once you start seeing results it will be so exciting:) Good luck!
ReplyDeleteGo Nancy! I remember "body for life" The first time. You really loved it. It is great that you get a little time together working out everyday. That will be a perk to keep at. I miss you. How are you loving being back in Virginia? I miss you. Good luck if anyone has enough fierceness to meet goals, it's you lady.
ReplyDeleteI think we must have the same brain...haha I have the hardest time doing things for myself, and getting motivated to do so. Brandon pointed about about a month ago that I am always willing to do things for others no questions asked and then I place myself on the back burner. Well no longer! Hope you are able to stick with it..good luck! No pain No gain!!
ReplyDelete